Re: nm-edit? Static entries?

Quoting Pat Suwalski <pat suwalski net>:

Jeff Moore wrote:
I am hoping that something like the nm-edit suggestion below is in the
works or is already implemented. I don't have a very good knowledge of
the inner workings of NM so I would like to ask all of you if there is
something in place that would allow an individual to statically set an
interfaces properties?

I have this planned, with a nice little UI for it in my mind, but it
needs some networkmanager work. The applet itself currently does not
store any IP settings, and I think the backend itself only does DHCP at
the moment.

I have little to no programming experience but this is something that I
am so interested in that I would be willing to learn. Any tips pointers
etc.?

Essentially, the backend would have to call out to "ifconfig <ip>
<netmask> up" and then call "route add default gw <foo>" and then edit
the /etc/resolv.conf file to add DNS. Next, the dbus communication
between the backend and the applet would need to support transferring
those settings, and the applet would need to store them. Adding editing
to the currently-alpha-grade editor wouldn't be too bad after that.

This all sounds great. But there is one issue imo: It always requires a logged in user, because the configuration has to be passed from nm-applet to NM. One wish I have for NM 0.7 is to have system profiles, so the administrator could setup default profiles for certain wired/wireless/static ip/dynamic ip connections. Atm if you have a machine which is used by multiple users, everyone has to configure the network individually.

Michael

This mail was sent through TecO-Webmail: http://www.teco.edu