Re: nm-edit? Static entries?

2006/6/21, Michael Biebl <biebl teco edu>:
Quoting Pat Suwalski <pat suwalski net>:

> Jeff Moore wrote:
>> I am hoping that something like the nm-edit suggestion below is in the
>> works or is already implemented. I don't have a very good knowledge of
>> the inner workings of NM so I would like to ask all of you if there is
>> something in place that would allow an individual to statically set an
>> interfaces properties?
>
> I have this planned, with a nice little UI for it in my mind, but it
> needs some networkmanager work. The applet itself currently does not
> store any IP settings, and I think the backend itself only does DHCP at
> the moment.
>
>> I have little to no programming experience but this is something that I
>> am so interested in that I would be willing to learn. Any tips pointers
>> etc.?
>
> Essentially, the backend would have to call out to "ifconfig <ip>
> <netmask> up" and then call "route add default gw <foo>" and then edit
> the /etc/resolv.conf file to add DNS. Next, the dbus communication
> between the backend and the applet would need to support transferring
> those settings, and the applet would need to store them. Adding editing
> to the currently-alpha-grade editor wouldn't be too bad after that.

This all sounds great. But there is one issue imo: It always requires
a logged in user, because the configuration has to be passed from
nm-applet to NM.
One wish I have for NM 0.7 is to have system profiles, so the
administrator could setup default profiles for certain
wired/wireless/static ip/dynamic ip connections.
Atm if you have a machine which is used by multiple users, everyone
has to configure the network individually.

There is a solution, to allow save the profiles in two ways:

- As profiles stored by the user corrently logged in.

- As profiles stored by the administrator (root), and this could be saved as "mandatory keys in gconf" or "default" configuration for the entry system.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los cuates: LIBRE)