Re: nm-edit? Static entries?

I am new to NM and first I just want to say "WOW What a great project!".

I am hoping that something like the nm-edit suggestion below is in the
works or is already implemented. I don't have a very good knowledge of
the inner workings of NM so I would like to ask all of you if there is
something in place that would allow an individual to statically set an
interfaces properties?
I currently do alot of moving from network to network some with DHCP and
some without. I am at the point where the NM product is too cumbersome
to use(ie: having to manually set the /etc/network/interfaces{yeah I am
running Deb/Ubuntu} and restart the networking service just so I can set
a static. And then having to rem out the /etc/network/interfaces file to
get the nm to start functioning again.).
Is it possible to add a little app that someone could use to create
static profiles that could be called from the nm drop down menu? That
would be a dream come true!
I have little to no programming experience but this is something that I
am so interested in that I would be willing to learn. Any tips pointers
etc.?

Thanks for your time.
Jeff M