Re: nm-edit? Static entries?

2006/6/21, Pat Suwalski <pat suwalski net>:
Jeff Moore wrote:
> I am hoping that something like the nm-edit suggestion below is in the
> works or is already implemented. I don't have a very good knowledge of
> the inner workings of NM so I would like to ask all of you if there is
> something in place that would allow an individual to statically set an
> interfaces properties?

I have this planned, with a nice little UI for it in my mind, but it
needs some networkmanager work. The applet itself currently does not
store any IP settings, and I think the backend itself only does DHCP at
the moment.

:-(

> I have little to no programming experience but this is something that I
> am so interested in that I would be willing to learn. Any tips pointers
> etc.?

Essentially, the backend would have to call out to "ifconfig <ip>
<netmask> up" and then call "route add default gw <foo>" and then edit
the /etc/resolv.conf file to add DNS. Next, the dbus communication
between the backend and the applet would need to support transferring
those settings, and the applet would need to store them. Adding editing
to the currently-alpha-grade editor wouldn't be too bad after that.

The Applet could save static information using gconf, and give them a name to allow the user to select the correct one.

In my case, at home is DHCP, but at work is a static configuration using a wireless or wired connection; the wireless is using WPA-PSK, then if the applet could save the password using gnome-keyring-manager will be greate.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los cuates: LIBRE)