Re: Great program!

2006/6/7, Gonzalo Diethelm <gonzalo diethelm diethelm org>:
I want to say thanks to everyone involved in Network Manager. This is EXACTLY what I always dreamed about having in my linux laptop. Before Network Manager, I kept several interfaces files under /etc/network/conf, and managed them by creating a symlink from /etc/network to the one I knew I would be using (all this through a shell script). Effective but cumbersome. Now I can move from one place to another, from wired to wireless, and Network Manager handles everything behind the scenes. Really sweet.

I agree!

Now, a few questions and suggestions:

  1. Sometimes I am asked to open my keyring twice. I don't know if it is because of a timeout or some other reason; this happens even if I only have one WiFi network configured to use WEP.
  2. Even opening the keyring once could be taken as a nuisance. It would be great if I could just configure Network Manager to handle this information automatically (even if it is in the clear, I am the only user of my laptop).
  3. That brings me to the issue of documentation: there isn't any. When I first installed Network Manager my configuration didn't work; I had to dive into the mailing list to find that I needed a very bare-bones interfaces file, otherwise Network Manager would ignore the interfaces.
  4. There is also no easy way to manage all stored configurations. I had to recourse to gconf-editor to delete a WiFi network that I had connected to just as a test but didn't want to keep using by default anymore.
  5. It would also be nice to be able to specify a priority for the configured WiFi networks, so that it picks the one I am interested in by default.

            6. It would be nice to have support for static IP (I need it, for may work places) with a nice UI to configure.
            7. Have way (GUI) to create a kind of 'Places' where you can hold the static configuration (IP, Gateway,
                DNS, PROXY and search domain), this helps to manage the diferent places you are where moving.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los cuates: LIBRE)