Re: FC5, Madwifi, NM -- network recovery after suspend-to-ram?

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 04:14 +0200, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 14:41 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I've been fairly happy with my FC5 update.  NM 0.6 is much more usable
> > than 0.3 in FC3.  Except for my 802.11(b/g) vs. 802.11(a) issue, it's
> > been pretty durn stable.  Thanks.
> >
> > My only issue right now is that the wireless network doesn't seem to
> > "come back" automatically after a suspend-to-ram.  Maybe I'm not doing
> > something correct, but it just doesn't seem to work right.  It doesn't
> > seem to re-scan for wireless networks after the resume..  What I've
> > had to do:
> >
> >  * manually disable networking
> >  * manually bring down ath0
> >  * manually rmmod all madwifi modules
> >  * manually 'ifconfig ath0 up'
> >  * manually re-eneable networking
> >  * pray it takes and that I don't have to repeat the process
>
> I have similar problems with ipw2200 - sometimes it won't work after a
> suspend. I do:
>
> /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
> rmmod ipw2200
> modprobe ipw2200
> /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
> pray that it works (it usually does)
>
> I played also with letting  pm-tools remove the ipw2200 module on
> suspend (and reinsert on wake-up) but it never seemed to cure the thing
> (and maybe brought it's own share of problems)
>
> Not sure if this is a problem with NM or the sad state of wifi drivers.
> On the other hand, there are sometimes also problems that are cured by
> simply restarting NM without any reload of kernel drivers. The problem I
> currently see most often is that it connects, and after a second drops
> the connection, connects again, drops it and so on. This sometimes cures
> itself after some iterations. Also not sure if this is NMs fault.

I have one too, and sometimes the driver craps out and prints this to
dmesg:

eth1: NETDEV_TX_BUSY returned; driver should report queue full via ieee_device->is_queue_full.

and then I have to rmmod ipw2200 and modprobe it again, and
enable/disable networking from the NM applet.  Driver issues.