Re: Limit on number of APs? Some way to force-rescan?

Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:

Hmm.  I blame madwifi :)  Ok, just kidding.

hahahaha..

However, I was just at a Hyatt in San Diego last weekend, and there were
a _ton_ of access points there.  > 30.  And ipw2200 displayed them all,
and I could even connect to some.  The differences between your setup
and mine are, of course, (a) ipw2200 vs. madwifi-ng and (b) you have
802.11a and I don't.

Okay...  And how many different ESSIDs out of those 30 APs?  And how many
of those ESSIDs did nm-applet display?

It could be that madwifi doesn't do a good job of caching the scan
results, since both NM and wpa_supplicant will request the results when
they get notification that a scan event has completed.  Some drivers,
most notably old ones, won't survive two processes requesting scan
results around the same time.  But I wouldn't expect madwifi to have
that issue, though it might.

I don't know.  I can run "iwlist ath0 scan" multiple times, over and
over, and get the full list of APs.  That list contains 15 APs right
now.

An interesting thing to do would be to write a small application that
listens to netlink events, and when the scan result event comes in, try
to grab scan results and compare those results with the ones that
NetworkManager retrieves.

How do I find the list that NM retrieves?  Does it log the list anywhere?
I just find it odd that the list in the pulldown doesn't match the list
I see in "iwlist ath0 scan".

I'm about to move location, so I bet that as soon as I do this problem will
go away because there will be an 'a' network AP earlier in the scan list
and therefore NM will see it.  At least, that's my guess.  I don't know.

Dan

-derek

      warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available