Re: A couple of minor issues

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 16:53 +0100, Peter Roediger wrote:
> Alright, but wouldn't it be way smarter to just scan for wireless
> networks on unplugging the wired network? Then it would connect
> immediately and automatically to the preferred network without any
> user interaction.
> This is something that probably needs to be changed in nm itself but
> not in the applet...

Possibly, but this wouldn't provide quite the experience you're looking
for.  Keep in mind that only very, very new cards (ipw, atheros) do
background scanning.  No other cards do.  And scans take time to
perform, sometimes up to 5 or 10 seconds for some (stupid) cards and
drivers.

So while this would work, I don't think it would have quite the desired
"Just Works" effect.  Also keep in mind that people click the menu
looking for what networks are around, either to find ones that are
connected, or just to see what's there.  Periodic scanning keeps that
list refreshed.

It's about _both_ an up-to-date list for determining which network to
connect to when you've lost a wired connection, _and_ letting the user
know what's out there.

Dan