Re: knetworkmanager on gentoo

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 04:42 -0500, Rod wrote:
> John Eckhart wrote:
> > Looks like the ebuild under gentopia is missing the gnome USE check
> > for configure, try using the ebuild attached here instead.
> >
> > Copy it back into the gentopia directory:
> > /usr/portage/local/layman/gentopia/net-misc/networkmanager/networkmanager-
> > 0.6.4-r1.ebuild
> > Rebuild the digest: ebuild
> > /usr/portage/local/layman/gentopia/net-misc/networkmanager/networkmanager-0.6.4-r1.ebuild
> > digest
> > emerge -va networkmanager
> Thanks John, that did it.
>
> I tried all the versions of NM in portage, as mentioned by Steev, but
> they all wanted to bring in the entire gnome desktop.
>
> After following your instructions above everything built fine, only
> bringing in two gnome modules:
>     gnome-base/gconf
>     gnome-base/orbit
>
> I did some preliminary testing and it seems to work but I'm dealing with
> some configuration issues.
>
> I'm testing it on a laptop that needs to use a static IP at one location
> and sometimes use a VZACCESS PC5740 (Qualcom PC card) to access the
> Verizon EVDO network, besides WPA wireless and regular dhcp on a vanilla
> Ethernet. That should be fun. I'm sure I'll be posting a new thread

That should work, because NM won't care about the PC Card (yet).  NM
doesn't recognize serial USB devices, so you can configure that device
with static IP and activate it using non-NetworkManager methods.  NM
should work fine with the WPA and DHCP bits though.

CDMA and GSM PC Cards are on the table, but they require the more
integrated PPP support, which is 4th in line after a) dbus
wpa_supplicant, b) system-wide config, and c) multiple active devices.
Anyone who wants to "own" one of those problems, feel free :)

Dan