Re: Is it possible to chroot jail NetworkManager?

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 19:43 +0000, Hubert Havel wrote:
> Hello NetworkManger Users:
>
>     I am able to get Opera to run in a chroot jail, but unfortunately, I was
> unable to get
> a jailed WiFI internet program to connect the jailed Opera to the WiFi
> internet card. I tried jailing NetworkManager, but I noticed that
> NetworkManager can only be executed by
> root. It is unsafe to execute any program inside jail with root.

Unfortunately, you pretty much _need_ root to do much with wireless.
For example, you can't perform wireless scans unless you're root (or
possibly have CAP_NET_ADMIN, not sure).  You also can't manipulate the
routing tables or set IP addresses if you're not root (or don't have
CAP_NET_ADMIN).

Furthermore, you'd need root for wpa_supplicant since it does a ton of
wireless work.  And NM needs to be able to access D-Bus too, and the
system bus socket would likely be outside the chroot too.

>     Is there a way to jail NetworkManager securely - preferably, execute
> NetworkManager
> inside jail without root. Perhaps, there is a way, like Apache, after
> initialization, it drops
> the root process?

Why do you want to do this?

Dan