Re: NM Doesn't List Ethernet Card

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 12:55 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 13:33 -0600, Carl J Richell wrote:
> > Hello and thank you in advance.
> >
> > Network Manager is not listing the ethernet card in its drop down list.
> > It only list the wireless card (Intel 3945).
> >
> > Ethernet Card: Realtek RTL-8169SC (rev 10)
> > Distro: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper)
> >
> > Both wireless and ethernet cards appear in HAL.  Is there a way to tell
> > NM that the card exist?
>
> Make sure you don't have the card already configured with the Ubuntu
> standard network config tools.
>
> Dan

That is what makes this issue interesting.  All cards are commented out
(save for lo).  The wireless card shows up without issue.  If I plug in
a USB ethernet card it shows up in NM but the built in Realtek does not.
The Realtek ethernet card works but it isn't recognized during the
Ubuntu installation process - nor during Fedora's installation (or
afterwards on Fedora.)

This occurs on two separate laptops with the same ethernet card.

Carl