Re: WPA connection/reconnection timeouts

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 12:17 +1000, Andrew Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sent something like this previously to the list, but it seems it never made
> it there; trying again...
>
> I'm using NetworkManager 0.6.4 (from Fedora) in a WPA network. For some
> reason (probably intermittent interference), wpa_supplicant often takes a few
> attempts before it succeeds at key exchange with my access point. Also, the
> connection will occasionally drop out, triggering wpa_supplicant to
> reassociate and rekey.
>
> Unfortunately NM has compiled-in timeouts of 20 seconds for the initial
> connection and 8s for any reconnection. These are far too low, causing most
> connection attempts to fail, or if a connection succeeds it will be
> terminated the first time it drops out.
>
> I've rebuilt with limits of 40s and 30s respectively, and this works well for
> me (no more failed connections or dropouts). I can see why you might be
> hesitant to increase these timeouts by default, but can I suggest that they
> be set in a configuration file?

That would be great indeed. And by the way, you say you've rebuilt the
NM: have you rebuilt a RPM with rpmbuild or just the configure/make
install stuff ? I'm asking because rpmbuild fails with NM on fc5,
returning a totally weird error:

error: Package has no %description: NetworkManager-gnome

I've checked the specfile and *of course* didn't find anything that
could explain this. I've already asked on this list but got no clue
about this...

Regards.

--
-gr0n6-

"Flemme is about glanding as much as others let you" - gdon