Re: Does NM start named?

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Filip Miletic wrote:

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
somewhere?   Try deleting everything in /var/lib/dhcp and trying
I don't have an FC4 client, but isn't that /var/lib/dhclient?  It is in
FC5.

In FC4 the directory seems to be 'dhcp' as said before. I get this from
looking at 'rpm -ql dhclient'.

Is named in fact being started on boot?  "chkconfig named --list"

I'd rather not run named locally if I can get the name server data
elsewhere.

Here's how I understand it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If named is started on boot, then NetworkManager starts managing it via
dbus. Otherwise, it should try getting the name server from DHCP and
install its IP address in resolv.conf.

Right, assuming (I guess) that the box in system-config-network that specifies "automatically obtain DNS info frpm provider" is checked or PEERDNS=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX. Does NM respect that flag? If it does and the flag is set to PEERDNS=no, then I'd guess you have to set /etc/resolv.conf by hand. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

When I connect to my home network without local named, an entry appears
in /etc/resolv.conf, pointing to the local name server that resides on
the ADSL modem.

The net at work behaved the same way before, but not now.

So either the client is not asking or the server is not providing. (Or something is getting mucked up in the middle.)

		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs