Re: Does NM start named?

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Filip Miletic wrote:

Greetings.

I use NetworkManager 0.5.1 on a laptop (Linux, FC4) that I connect to a
wired network at home and at work.

Since a few days, connecting to the net at work does not configure the
name server, and I have to run named manually to get name resolution. At
home, everything works as expected.

I can run named by hand or enable it at startup solves the issue. But as
far as I know, NM was able to solve this before. Running 'NetworkManager
--no-daemon' did not reveal any errors.

The only message I get when running NM only is this:
Apr 12 10:33:48 cow dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found
under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.reason

Can someone explain what might be going on?

In Fedora, you start named at boot, but to get it to talk to NM, you need to connect it to dbus. Add to /etc/sysconfig/named the line

	OPTIONS="-D"

Also, do not install the bind-chroot package, but do install the caching-nameserver package.

You say "since a few days."  What happened to chnage things?

		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs