Re: Does NM start named?

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Filip Miletic wrote:

Dan Williams wrote:
Hmm, maybe dhclient has cached the IP/MAC of the temporary DHCP server
somewhere?   Try deleting everything in /var/lib/dhcp and trying

I don't have an FC4 client, but isn't that /var/lib/dhclient? It is in FC5.

I just tried this and it does not seem to do the trick.

The eth0 interface and the routes configure fine, but if named is not up
I get an empty /etc/resolv.conf. (there's a comment along the lines of
'do not edit' from NetworkManager but I suppose that does not count).

As soon as I start named (/etc/init.d/named start), an entry pointing to
localhost appears in resolv.conf.

That's the expected behavior for a caching nameserver.

Is named in fact being started on boot?  "chkconfig named --list"
If it is off in your runlevel, "chkconfig named on".

		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs