Re: Initial libnl support committed

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 12:53 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> There is something called libnlink.  I know nothing about it.
> Description says "libnetlink provides a higher level interface to
> rtnetlink(7)."

The 'iproute' sources build a 'lib/libnetlink.a'.  Is that the same
library, I wonder?  Does iproute depend on it in SUSE or Red Hat?  There
is no such package on Debian or Ubuntu.

At the bottom of 'man 3 netlink', it says:

SEE ALSO
       netlink(7)

       and ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/iproute2* for libnetlink

I connected with 'ncftp' and see that the glob above is meant to
indicate that the libnetlink this man page refers to is the one in the
iproute package.  'man 3 netlink' describes only a few macros, not much
of an interface improvement relative to what I see under the lib
directory of libnl-1.0-pre3.

So now my question is, will 'iproute' start using 'libnl' at some point?
It would be good if it was possible for them to combine their efforts.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom pdx edu>