Re: 2 questions...

Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 20:27 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
Colin Walters <walters verbum org> writes:

> Seriously, what's the difference to the end user?

Having to type their password first?
Having to restart gaim or psi or other apps because there's a
race condition between login and network startup?

Again, this is a problem with the _apps_.  They need to be aware of
network changes.

Dan, you keep conflating two issues which are not the same.  You seem to be
confusing "network exists at startup" from "network changes from under you". I'm concerned about the former, you seem to talking about the latter.

Most applications fail harder if there's no network when they start, but will
deal much better if the network changes from under them.  Asking every
application writer of every application to deal better with starting without
network just because you don't want to make a "global network configuration"
seems a little, I don't know, egocentric?  "The world must work THIS way"?

Why should wireless networks be treated differently than wired networks in terms
of when they are started?

Why should NM work differently than the original network scripts in terms of
when networks are started?  Sure, NM gives you the ability to connect to
different wireless networks.  This is a good thing..  But it still starts too
late.

Dan

-derek