Re: DNS problem (forwarding order?)

Colin Walters wrote:
So regardless, I think this is a bug in the network setup at wherever
David is.  He (and everyone else, regardless of whether or not they're
using NetworkManager, Windows, or whatever) will see this behavior
periodically if the internal server or the network is heavily loaded.

The network is very lightly loaded, so I don't think that's causing my problems. I think named is caching the negative response(s) so once I miss out on a lookup, it's toast (at least until the negative response times out of the cache or named is restarted). Doing "traditional" name lookups (i.e. no named and no caching) would maybe fail once in a while, but that failure wouldn't doom that name "forever".

The network admins should fix it so only the internal server is
returned, and it forwards external requests.

That's a good point.  I'll talk to them about that.

That said, it is reasonable to try to make things more pleasant for him
to work around this bug.  From a quick look at the BIND source though I
don't see a way to change the policy :/

Did you see the policy somewhere in there? I briefly looked at the sources, but didn't see any obvious indications of what the policy was.

Thanks,
Dave