Re: DNS problem (forwarding order?)

Dan Williams wrote:
But NetworkManager doesn't control which nameservers get used first, it
just dumps them to bind/caching-nameserver.  So NetworkManager isn't
really doing wrong stuff here, its the behavior of bind that's causing
the problem...

If NetworkManager is taking an order-is-significant list from DHCP and using it as an order-is-not-significant list in named.conf, then NetworkManager is doing wrong stuff. The question I've not yet resolved, so to speak :-), is whether or not order is significant in the named.conf file's forwarders option. If order is supposed to be significant in named.conf, then bind seems to have a problem. If order is not significant in named.conf, then NetworkManager seems to have a problem.

It just so happens that we have a much more intelligent
resolver now than with glibc.

Can you please expand on that? I suppose local caching is a slight benefit, but is there anything else that makes using named preferable to just putting...

nameserver ns1
nameserver ns2
nameserver ns3

...into /etc/resolv.conf?