Re: signal strength problem for multiple ap's w/ the same essid

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 11:47 -0500, Sven wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 11:35 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > apart from that: could it be that NM sometimes takes the signal strength
> > > form the wrong AP (in the situation i described, with AP's with the same
> > > essid)? and what about the change in signal strengths?
> >
> > No, it always uses the signal strength as reported by the card using
> > SIOCGIWSTATS, namely it uses the exact same values you see in the "Link
> > Quality  x/y" section of 'iwconfig', and simply does "% = x / y * 100".
> > Note that /proc/net/wireless doesn't report any maximum quality, but
> > iwconfig does.
>
> i guess you know best, but: how come iwconfig says "Link Quality=30/94"
> and changing according to distance etc from AP, but NM applet says
> "Wireless network connection (75%)" when 30/94*100 is 32???

CVS currently has a few locking issues that may cause the applet not to
be able to talk to NetworkManager at points and therefore not be able to
update the quality.  You'll also need to make sure you've got CVS from
late yesterday (I committed around 3PM EST and gnome.org anoncvs takes a
while to sync).  Once I get the locking thing fixed, we should see if
this is still a problem.