Re: Not seeing wireless network in nm-applet

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 17:54 -0500, Wendell MacKenzie wrote:
> Hi:
>
>    Installed NetworkManager-0.5.1 from tar archive on gnome.org on SUSE
> 10.0 on a Dell laptop.  I also installed the
> required dhcdbd-1.10 package it needs.  I then rebooted the laptop.
>
>    The network manager daemon starts up OK.  Here are the messages that
> it dumps into the syslog:

>    I can successfully connect to my home linksys router (WEP or
> otherwise) using iwconfig and ifconfig manually, so I know the network
> is OK.
>
>    For whatever reason, when I click on the network icon that nm-applet
> puts on the gnone task bar, all it says is Wired Network (greyed out)
> when I'm just running wirelessly.  I have a ifcfg-wlan0 setup in my
> /etc/sysconfig/network directory with valid values for the wireless
> connection
> to my wireless router.
>
>    Any ideas on what I'm missing?

So what wireless card do you have, what driver is it using, and what is
the output of 'lshal' say for your card?  You might have to run 'lshal |
less' then search for 'wlan0' in the less output (or just redirect to a
file and use your favorite text editor).  If you could append the
section of lshal that is about wlan0, that would be great.

It appears that NM isn't seeing your card at all, and that's usually
because HAL isn't noticing that your card is a network card.  This is
usually caused by bad drivers not populating sysfs with the correct
device information, as all good drivers should.

Thanks!