Re: Nemiver ChangeLog policy

Dodji Seketeli wrote:
Hello,

After popular request (Jonner, I guess you'll be happy now :) ), we
won't need to manually update the ChangeLog file in Nemiver any more.

Instead, committers - okay, it's only Jonner and myself for now, but who
knows the future ? - will only have to write proper git commit messages
nd, at release time, the GNU ChangeLog file will be updated before the
tarball is generated.

For the curious readers, 'make update-changelog' in the top source
repository updates the ChangeLog file. In any case, 'make release' calls
the update-changelog target, in case 'make update-changelog' has been
forgotten.

For this I wrote a little Ruby script (I know Jonner loves Ruby) that
parses the git log and spits a ChangeLog file in a somewhat proper GNU
Format. That script has been granted the cute name 'gitlog2gnucl'.
Unfortunately, you won't have the chance to call your next son like this
because the name is obviously taken. Life is hard.

The observant reader would have guessed by now that gitlog2gnucl is
called by 'make update-changelog' to ... update the ChangeLog file.

This nice setup would fall apart if we don't write proper git commit
messages from now on :) To prevent that, I put up a small README to
explain what git commit messages should look like. You can read it at
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/nemiver/tree/git-commit-messages.README.

This sounds fine to me. However, the .README file suggests that if the commit fixes a particular bug number, the summary line should be:

#123445 - description goes here

Unfortunately that won't work since git treats any line with a leading # as a comment line, so we'll need to make sure we don't use the # in front of the bug number (or change the policy to put the bug number at the end of the line or something)

--
jonner