Re: How to remove menu items (where has /usr/share/nautilus/ui gone) ?

hi;

On 12 June 2012 10:17, garethl <garethl hmgcc gsi gov uk> wrote:

> In which case, do you have any suggestions on how to remove menu items
> (without rebuilding Nautilus), please?

you don't - that's what I've been trying to tell you. the UI
definition file is *code*; its contents and structure are part of the
Nautilus code base as much as the C files. changing the contents of
the UI definition without corresponding changes inside the C source
code is the equivalent of poking at random bytes in the binary file.

if you want to remove menu items you have two options: introduce a
setting that can control the existence and visibility of that menu
item, or patch Nautilus and rebuild it.

>> if you think Nautilus's UI should be modified, file a bug with a patch
>> and a rationale for the change.
>

> I am not saying that I have found any bugs, just that I (and according to
> Google, several other people) have a particular need to remove some menu
> items (to limit the functionality available/visible to a user) - but I
> cannot see how to do this at application startup, if modifying the
> UI/GtkBuilder is not an option.

if you want a locked down version of Nautilus then you should
definitely file bugs so that it's possible to perform some sort of
lockdown - there is GSoC intern working on a new lockdown editor for
Gnome 3, and reducing the capabilities of Nautilus for kiosk-like
setups is definitely in the scope of that:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/trz/11001

filing bugs to require enhancements is the correct way to let people
know what you're trying to achieve.

oh, and by the way, could you please strip (or ask you sysadmins to
strip) the ridiculous disclaimer at the bottom of your email? it's
legally void, and this is a public mailing list. thanks!

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name