Where is the code for desktop windows?

Hello list

I am a new member of this list. I have tried to explore nautilus firs time, b'coz I want to change something to desktop window.

As explored and found:  (please confirm)
Now how can I know, how nautilus renders desktop window, icon positions, method of icon display (row* column or pixel bases) and other details?
I have downloaded the source code of nautilus-2.28.1 from gnome site and trying to understand the details. As explored and found that nautilus-desktop-window.c, .h can give useful things required.

Please help me in understanding desktop and nautilus.

Thanks & regards
Leena Chourey