Re: Possible speed enhancement

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 19:19:28 +0200, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 15:35 +0200, Milosz Derezynski wrote:

One other thing that occured to me is that it would be possible to
list files very quickly without checking the type,
and then (in a thread) read the types and display the according icons
(or generally the thumbnails).

That is precisely what I have in mind as well, and other OS also do it.

It sounds good in theory, but in practice it doesn't really speed
anything up, because as you read in the file types after the fact things
flash around and change a lot, sometimes being re-sorted or just
re-drawn.

Isn't it that shifting that is already happening today when the thumbnailer kicks in and shows image and pdf previews? It seems to happen because the thumbnails have
a size different from the generic "wait for preview" icons.
So what is the point in doing it (using sort of generic icons before showing final icons/ thumbnails/whatever) for files getting thumbnailed but not for other files in large directories?

I strongly believe that flashing/shifting will be insignificant if replacement icons of the generic icons are of the same size, i.e. they fit in perfectly, and if we do it in bulk updates,
not icon by icon.

Don't get me wrong; if implementing this takes tremendous efforts we should certainly
consider delaying it in favour of more important work.

Regards
--
Christian Kirbach
Christian Kirbach googlemail com