Re: Audio/Video file preview using gstreamer

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 00:30 +1200, John Stowers wrote:

> On 9/27/07, jamie <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 13:02 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
>         wrote:
>
>         >
>         > For tags particularly I'm not sure that using the xesam
>         search api is
>         > the right way. I can easily imagine users that want tagging
>         abilities,
>         > but do not want to run an indexer.
>
>         right the simple non-index backend should provide a fallback
>         for this or
>         use the existing nautilus emblem/tags facility
>
> As it currently stands the Nautilus emblem/tag facility is private and
> not accessible by other applications. This was indeed the problem I
> was trying to solve by storing the tags/emblems in tracker/xesam.
>
> So what is an acceptable compromise in the non-indexed case? Storing
> tags/emblems as extended attributes (attrs) or perhaps using xmp
> attributes (in sidecar files or in the file itself). It would then be
> the indexers job (or whatever xesam provider is in use) to make
> accessible/merge this fallback information into its database.
>
> Picking on tracker slightly, one of the concerns when tracker was last
> proposed for inclusion was that people were afraid of storing
> tags/emblems in a big central database incase the indexer ate it.
> Jamie, is there some possibility that all the above problems could be
> solved by storing emblems/tags in some other fallback manner and
> combining appropriately?

not an issue - tracker stores user defined metadata separately from
indexed ones

expendable indexes and metadata are stored in $HOME/.cache/tracker

user defined metadata is stored in $HOME/.local/share/tracker/data

the sqlite db is totally safe for storing tags as fsync is used in
combination with sqlite's journaling (which is on top of any FS
journaling) means that corruption is not a practical concern.

jamie