Re: List view help

Am Mittwoch, den 10.08.2005, 11:20 -0500 schrieb Richard Mancusi:
> > I wonder why you need the short MIME descriptions.
> Long file names + Long MIME descriptions = list view data pushed
> off the screen.  Users don't like to constantly scroll over.  Your PNG
> example is exactly what I mean.  OpenOffice isn't far behind:
> "OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet" how about "OpenOffice Calc"

Sounds reasonable. Are you willing to bring this up on xdg or should I
take care of this?

> I do not advocate "another pre-defined set" of descriptions - merely
> the ability to change them.

Well, the problem you're trying to solve is not only encountered by you.
An upstream solution is therefore appropriate. The right solution is to
include long and short descriptions.

> Icons:
> Some applications do not have icons assigned to them - e.g.
> OpenOffice pre-2 does not have icons for the new formats
> odt, ods.

Ditto. Upstream solutions are great. Downstream sucks. Just grab the
GNOME 2.12 beta2 gnome-icon-theme tarball [1] and install it.