Re: DragNDrop to an unopened folder (without springs) and a nice accessibility side-effect

On Tue, 2005-05-04 at 20:07 +0200, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 10:05 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > > Well I don't see how you could replace the left-click instance with
> > > anything as how is the user supposed to open up another folder?
> >
> > The precise point of the change is to allow the user to use the left
> > click to navigate with. The pasting comes when you click on an empty
> > window.
>
> So if I click a folder to select it, the clipboard is pasted into it.

Nope, only if you click the empty background. If you used regular DnD
you can't select a folder either. This is just DnD folks.

> Not good. :) Also I take it if I click a folder, it will navigate to it
> instead of pasting into it. I don't think that this is very expected
> behavior, because usually you can paste into folders directly. Maybe it

I suspect its not expected because it hasn't been done before, which
isn't much of an argument. Sadly its the only one I've been given.

> would be useful, but it does sound potentially confusing to me. Mainly
> because the user did not do anything to activate this feature, but has

She activated a DnD. This is just DnD. Because its different does
inherently mean its bad.

> to do something to cancel it or accidentally paste his stuff elsewhere.
> I'm wondering, why don't we allow the user to use any other mouse button
> (which he didn't use to start the drag op) to activate a folder? We'd
> practically get the same behavior as patent-loaded folders, only that
> the user would have to press a mouse button before a folder pops up.
> That's something Orange can't do with their lousy one button mouse. ;)

You can't use another button with old style DnD because that causes the
user to do acrobatics with their fingers, which is really bad for RSI or
accessibility.

Well there isn't much interest, and Alex hasn't commented on it which
means he doesn't like it, so its dead unless I can find time to write
the patch myself (and its not looking good to be accepted if I did).

Cheers,
Ryan