Re: DragNDrop to an unopened folder (without springs) and a nice accessibility side-effect

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 10:19 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2005 4:11 AM, Ryan McDougall <NQG24419 nifty com> wrote:

> > When the user holds a DnD for a certain period of time, perhaps 3
> > seconds, the drag object goes to a "Moving Clipboard" attached to the
> > mouse but offset a little, and the pointer reverts to its normal usage.
>
> This idea sounds nice. But the cancelling should be as easy as pie or
> else this could turn into a major PITA. Also, I think it will prove
> quite difficult to find the right time in which normal dnd is not
> disturbed *and* the waiting period is kept lower than the perceived
> time that the restarting takes. Even your example, three seconds,
> could get frustrating. Waiting seems always longer than acting.

Well suppose a 'normal' DnD operation for some reason takes more than 3
seconds, and the object moves to the "Movable Clipboard", how is the
user inconvenienced? They benefit from that much less wrist strain
holding the button down. Esc cancels the DnD and removes the selection
from the clipboard.

I think there should be no annoying dialogue saying "Do you really want
to do this?", just do the past exactly as if the user pressed Ctrl-V.

ps. The "Movable Clipboard" should be purely iconic, we should use
CLIPBOARD just like any other app.

Cheers,
Ryan