Re: Feedback: Six Nautilus annoyances

> I'm not sure what you mean. The script assumes its run with current
> working directory being /home/eugenia/blah-blah, but nautilus launches
> it with cwd $home? Then the script would be broken from the shell too,
> if you launched it using an absolute pathname, or if it was in your
> path.

Sure, but it works currently if I launch it from the terminal from its own
folder. Technicalities aside, as a user, that's the behavior I would expect
from Nautilus as well.

> The reason we use $home as cwd when launching things is that that makes
> it the default saving location for most app fileselectors. It also makes
> relative pathname files written by the app (including core files) end up
> in $home (instead of /usr/bin where it would otherwise end up for most
> apps).

I c. However, this doesn't help me too much when I have, let's say, a
complex launching script for limewire and when I create a nautilus/gnome
launcher out of it and doesn't work. Editing such a huge script (about 6 KB)
and give it absolute pathnames (or PREFIX set to ~) in order to work with
nautilus is not an option IMHO. I am not sure what to be done about this...

> I added some code to cvs that makes it notice changes from inside
> nautilus, so the basic cut/paste cycle in nautilus should work better
> now.

Thanks!

> Perhaps we should have a separate preference for normal images. Thats
> even possible to set up already using gconf-editor. However I disagree
> about adding the thumbnail size prefs. If our photo managers suck we
> should work on fixing them instead of adding some of photo manager ui to
> the file manager.

I don't want to add any photo manager UI specific to nautilus. I just need
basic file management for it, but with folder-by-folder case option.

> However, this all has to wait until next version. We're in hard UI
> freeze.

Ok, thanks.

> > 6. Please provide a checkbox/knob to make Nautilus remember the
background
> > images or colors on folder case by case. I would like my home ~ to have
> > nice girlie background image with fade pink hearts, but I don't want my
> > /usr/local/bin to be the same. ;-D
>
> As someone said, this is already possible. Although the UI isn't that
> great. A great UI that allows both of these isn't that easy to come up
> with though, and we are tossing around some different ideas about folder
> backgrounds.

I c. Still, I wouldn't mind a checkbox for now. ;-)

>Thats not how typeahead works in nautilus. Pressing "kk" would get you
>to the first file starting with "kk". If you want to go to "Kool.txt",
>press "ko".

But I can do both with Explorer. Pressing "k" it will get me to the next
k-word, while pressing "ko" also will get me on "kool". I believe that
Explorer has better functionality regarding this action that worth copying.

> This means your locale setup is broken.

Hmm... I think the default on /etc/profile on slackware might be posix
indeed (I need to reboot to check it out)... I will email Pat about it,
however, is it really wise to default to this behavior of filename ordering
in general? Does the posix standard require that filename ordering behavior?
What if a distro is buggy and it doesn't have a locale at all? What nautilus
will use? I would personally prefer to use us_US.UTF8 if possible (please
note that I am not american, but I don't mind english being chosen by
default if my Locale is messed up and I need a fallback :-)

>This is strange, because it *does* have the right behaviour if you
>select the region yourself. Ah, it was just selecting in the wrong
>direction. Fixed in cvs.

Thanks!

Eugenia