Re: Feedback: Six Nautilus annoyances

> Hmm... I think the default on /etc/profile on slackware might be posix
> indeed (I need to reboot to check it out)... I will email Pat about it,
> however, is it really wise to default to this behavior of filename ordering
> in general? Does the posix standard require that filename ordering behavior?
> What if a distro is buggy and it doesn't have a locale at all? What nautilus
> will use? I would personally prefer to use us_US.UTF8 if possible (please
> note that I am not american, but I don't mind english being chosen by
> default if my Locale is messed up and I need a fallback :-)
>
> >This is strange, because it *does* have the right behaviour if you
> >select the region yourself. Ah, it was just selecting in the wrong
> >direction. Fixed in cvs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eugenia

POSIX specifies how the locale is determined (the LC_* environment
variables) and the C locale specifies the ordering.  Or the en_US.utf8
locale or ... If the distro is buggy and doesn't have a locale, things
default to the 'C' locale.  The 'C' locale orders by the numeric value
of a character and since uppercase and lowercase letters are in two
different ranges, they will not sort together.  One could argue that 'k'
and 'K' should be next to each other but there is no way (in the 'C'
locale) to get them to sort "equally".  Having nautilus refuse to use
the 'C' locale in favor of en_US.utf8 where it exists is a pretty broken
thing to do.  The real solution is to ensure that your distribution or
configuration isn't broken, rather than to subtly break nautilus to
workaround it. Especially when fixing it is as easy as it is.

--
Shahms King <shahms shahms com>