Re: Video thumbnails

William Lovaton wrote:
Hi Jaap,

El mar, 14-12-2004 a las 20:43 +0100, Jaap Haitsma escribió:

No they are all just sub directories of my home directory which is on my local harddisk

Try deleting ~/.thumbnails

Thanks that solves is.
Do you have an explanation for it, why it happened. Should a bug be filed??

It is not a bug.  What happens is that nautilus caches all the info in
~/.thumbnails so it can process things faster after wards.

If the file is modified in some way nautilus catch it and then
regenerate the cache.  In your case the file was unmodified so it
doesn't realize it can create a new thumbnail.

For example, if nautilus can't generate video thumbnails it will show
you the mime type icon corresponding to that file.  If then, you install
totem, nautilus will use the info from the cache which is the icon not
the thumbnail.

So, in short... erase ~/.thumbnails every time you need.

In fact you only need to erase ~/.thumbnails/failed
So that for instance the disadvantage that Xavier is mentioning of that the GIMP has to regenerate the thumbnails.

The thing what happened with me is that when I put the video on my PC my thumbnailer was not working. After a few upgrades of gstreamer it started work but there was an entry in the failed directory.

So the only thing that should happen IMHO is that Nautilus should remove the ~/.thumbnails/failed every 3 months or so.

Jaap