Re: Icons during dragging (should have text part IMHO)

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 09:13, Ralph Aichinger wrote:

> One thing is the "feel" of dragging icons, this is maybe my largest
> "problem" with Nautilus now.
> To me dragging simply does not feel quite right yet. I think part
> of the problem is that activating the Icon gets lots of feedback (good)
> but the "state change" to "dragged" is not really visible. I.e.
> if you drag the Icon just for a few pixels you are never quite sure
> if you've really "got" it, or just activated it. Or so it feels
> to me. The cursor form switch simply does not do it for me, on some
> unconscious level. Might sound strange, but Windows XP and -- most of
> all -- classic MacOS work much much better in that respect IMHO.

I don't have a classic MacOS here, how does it work there? I agree that
we could do this better.

> Maybe it is just the shape of the dragging cursor, that says nothing to
> me and somehow changes the "center of gravity" and shape of the cursor
> in some strange way. I've been using it for so long, but I still have
> no idea what this "right angle" shape represents. Or does it represent
> something?

I must say I don't have any idea what it represents either.

> *And* it might be part of the problem, that the icon text is not
> displayed while dragging (or is that a preference I messed up?).
> This is not good IMHO, because the icon text to me is part of
> the icon, and most important: The *shape* of the icon changes, if
> the text is not displayed while dragging. I really wish the text
> part of the Icon would be displayed.

I'm not sure why this isn't done. We could at least show the text for
the primary dragged icon.

He's an immortal misogynist master criminal haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's
a wealthy Bolivian mechanic with a birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. They
fight crime!