convincing ssh:// and ftp:// links to work

I've seen this asked a few different times in different forums (and bug
139263), but with no answer, but I've also seen enough people say how
good and easy it is that it can't have shipped broken.... so I figured
I'd ask in the nautilus specific list in hopes to get help.

First of all, congrats to all involved, great work.

My problem is two-fold.
 - When I select "connect to server" and put in a link of ftp:// or
   ssh:// in the formats of either protocol://user host or
   protocol://host, the link on the desktop appears, but when it's
   clicked I get the message:
      "The action associated with "ftp:
      server" is invalid.

      You can configure GNOME to associate a different....
      etc
   I tried telling nautilus to open an ssh or ftp link from the terminal
   but got 'cannot display "ftp://server";' for the ftp links and 'could
   not log in' for an ssh link (ssh keys are set up).
   smb:// links worked perfectly.  nfs:// links returned a 'not valid
   location' error.

 - the second issue I have is that the functionality of nautilus doesn't
   match up with the documentation.  In the help docs under section
   7.8.2.1 it indicates that there is a 'Add Network Place' object in
   the computer object.  I have no such thing.  It also indicates thee
   is an NFS and SMB object in the computer->network object.  I have the
   SMB one which displays just fine, but not the other two.

I'm guessing that I have to install another package, but the same
remains after installing gnome-vfs-sftp and gnome-vfs-extras.  I'm going
to actually assume that these shouldn't have been installed, as now the
network object is just timing out :(

This is on a gentoo linux, all stable except for gnome 2.6 is ~x86, all
release packages.

Please help!

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain