nuking home and trash icons

Hi all, and thanks for your great work on nautilus and gnome.  I'd like your help configuring something that is bugging me.

I like a very spartan desktop, so I would like to get rid of the home and trash icons.  I tried removing their files from .gnome-desktop but this didn't work.  I heard that nautilus recreates these files at each login.

How can I do this?  (I have gnome 2.0 and nautilus 2.06; I can upgrade if I need to.)

Thanks for your help,
Daniel
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at http://email.indiatimes.com

 Buy the best in Movies at http://www.videos.indiatimes.com