Re: nuking home and trash icons

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 12:52, onculus wrote:
> Hi all, and thanks for your great work on nautilus and gnome.  I'd like your help configuring something that is bugging me.
>
> I like a very spartan desktop, so I would like to get rid of the home and trash icons.  I tried removing their files from .gnome-desktop but this didn't work.  I heard that nautilus recreates these files at each login.
>
> How can I do this?  (I have gnome 2.0 and nautilus 2.06; I can upgrade if I need to.)

In GNOME 2.2, you can edit the Nautilus "show_desktop" gconf preference.

Launch gconf-editor.

Select apps-nautilus-preferences in the left pane, then right-click on
show_desktop in the right pane and select "Edit key". Click on the key
value thingie to toggle it between "true" and "false". When set to
"false", Nautilus won't draw your desktop.

Cheers,
John

--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sliced bread wasn't an innovation. Sliced pizza was. I mean, can you
 imagine eating a family sized unsliced pizza?"
 - Jeff Waugh