Re: Proposal for bug 73937 / symlinks in nautilus

Why should it be configurable, if we are concerned users don't
understand the behavior of symlinks, why not change make link to create
a .desktop file that points at the linked uri. This would have the
advantage of allowing traditional users of symlinks to have them work as
they expect, well allowing windows/(mac???) converts to have the
behavior they are used to...
On the face of it this seems like a good suggestion, however... the only application that will understand these (.desktop) 'links' is nautilus (or perhaps the gnome fileselector). Shortcuts in windows can be used to do all the same kinds of things as symlinks can, and I think most people would agree this is a good thing.

Rgds,
Darryl Rees.