Re: [Usability]Re: toolbar issues

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 11:50, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> OK, well the hourglass cursor would be nice, but that means that this
> proposal is star trek future since application feedback would need to be
> added to nautilus.

Fine with me.

> personally i think the hour glass cursor is should be used for launch
> feedback(opening apps from the desktop or the panel). I think the
> throbber should be used for loading of inline views feedback.

Originally (e.g., Windows and Mac circa 1990) the hourglass cursor
was used for application doing-stuff feedback, logically equivalent
to what we're using the throbber for. The arrow-with-hourglass
to indicate application launch was introduced with Windows NT. (They
had a naming contest at the first NT developers' conference, though
I can't remember now what Windows actually calls it. Launch glass?)

Given that we're in a multitasking world, though, it's probably
appropriate for an application to give you some feedback that it's
doing something even if you don't scrub it with the cursor first.
I still think an actual progress indicator would be preferable,
though.