Re: [Nautilus-list] CD Burning or "in case you get overwhelmed with copious free time"

Just for your information... duplication of CDs is definitely possible in
OSX.  Its actually pretty easy, although it certainly is not as intuitive as
it could be.

You run the Disk Copy program in /Applications/Utilities (it comes by
default in OSX) and you make a disk image of the CD directly.  Then you
eject the CD and run Disk Copy again.  Then select from the menu "Burn Disk
Image" and select the image that you just created.  Insert a blank CD and
viola, you have a duplicated CD.  I have done this many times and it never
fails on my TiBook.

I think that it is important to mention that while the new Finder has some
nice features, especially with regard to CD burning, it also is fairly
boneheaded in many ways.  We shouldn't attempt to clone the Finder's
interface, even for burning.

I have studied HCI quite a bit (graduating with it as my specialization
soon!).  It seems to me that the following should be the way we do this:

Burning from Nautilus:

    * Insert a blank CD, you are prompted with a dialog asking you what you
      want to do:

        - Create a new data CD:

            This would allow you to drag and drop files into a standard
            nautilus icon view until you are satisfied, and then you would
            press "Burn CD" from the toolbar or through the menus.

        - Create a new audio CD:

            This would allow you to create a new audio CD through the music
            view or possibly in the future through RhythmBox.  You can do
            this in two ways:

                1. Create audio CD from a new playlist.
                2. Create audio CD from an existing playlist.

    * Or right click on a mounted CD and select "Duplicate CD".  This would
      create a disk image (dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/burnme) and then prompt
      you for a blank CD, and then burn.

I think that this method makes a ton of sense and takes the best of what we
have, windows has, and nautilus has.  Although, its simply a suggestion.
Nothing will tell us more than user testing.

 - Jonathan LaCour