Re: [Nautilus-list] Proposed string changes to the Nautilus UI

The purpose of the changes proposed in 2, 3, 8, and 10-17 is to get consistency across all terminology in the UI, in this specifically the terms side pane, statusbar, and desktop background. I don't think the colloquial/technical argument applies here, so I would like to proceed with these changes. Is that OK?

The changes proposed in 1, 4-6, and 9 boil down to the following terms/phrases:
* Clear/Forget
* Sort/Lay Out Items
* ...to Default/...to Match Preferences
* Compact View/Tighter Layout

I think that colloquial/technical isn't really the issue here. Perhaps colloquial wasn't the best choice of word in my previous mail. Using these terms provides the following benefits:

* Terms that describe the function more accurately and more concisely, especially, sort, clear.
* Terms that are probably more familiar to users, especially, sort, clear.
* Use of simpler language, which makes comprehension easier for native English and non-native English speakers.

Eugene

BTW, the relative section in the HIG is incomplete, but it does stress "Clear, consistent and concise labelling of controls" (http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig/language.html)