Re: [Nautilus-list] CD Burning or "in case you get overwhelmed with copious free time"

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 17:49, Jonathan LaCour wrote:

    Burning from Nautilus:

        * Insert a blank CD, you are prompted with a dialog asking you what you
          want to do:

            - Create a new data CD:

                This would allow you to drag and drop files into a standard
                nautilus icon view until you are satisfied, and then you would
                press "Burn CD" from the toolbar or through the menus.

            - Create a new audio CD:

                This would allow you to create a new audio CD through the music
                view or possibly in the future through RhythmBox.  You can do
                this in two ways:

                    1. Create audio CD from a new playlist.
                    2. Create audio CD from an existing playlist.

        * Or right click on a mounted CD and select "Duplicate CD".  This would
          create a disk image (dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/burnme) and then prompt
          you for a blank CD, and then burn.

    I think that this method makes a ton of sense and takes the best of what we
    have, windows has, and nautilus has.  Although, its simply a suggestion.
    Nothing will tell us more than user testing.

This sounds like it might work. I like the "what do you want to do with
this CD?" dialog, then one does not need to worry about handling "uh-oh,
now the user dragged a mp3 file there. I wonder if he wants to make an
audio cd?" -cases.. Plus like Darin said, it makes things easy to find.

Now all we need is someone to hack it ;-)

I'll try my luck with some nautilus scripts for starters, those are
useful for prototyping the functionality. CD burning is just too hard on
Linux, even I struggle with it, the good thing is gcombust allows me to
drag folders from nautilus to itself, so it is a bit easier to master
disks. We should try to make it simple, but I am worried this is going
to be a lot of work..

As of mixed mode CD's, how often do you create those really? We probably
should avoid doing it too complex by allowing all weird crap possible
that mkisofs/mkhybrid/cdrecord/cdrdao can do.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::