Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 21:29, David Emory Watson wrote:

    > If you make it hidden and you also make the desktop the only way to
    > browse the home directory, then there is no way for an end user to back
    > up his Evolution data and move it around.

    This is not strictly true (though you are right that this will be a pain
    in the butt until nautilus has an easier way to change the "show hidden
    files preference").

We also dont have many graphical programs to do this backupping, so it
involves using terminal in most cases, thus requiring knowledge about
the issue. Whether the folder is visible in nautilus does not matter if
you pop up a shell to do the task.

    Also, if we wanted to avoid hidden files we could always create a
    Documents/Software or Documents/Settings directory.

These are a good idea, I have those. Must have unless you only have
approximately 5 files total :-) But the simplicity comes from the fact
that when you make a folder called "Mom's Photos" on the desktop, your
Gimp file selector has it right there.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::