Re: 5 second timeout thing ...

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 06:35, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 00:20, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> > Gnome-terminal monitors the background image for changes, and re-renders
> > it for itself if it does change. This apparently causes the short
> > pause/lockup if the wallpaper is updated.
>
> 	That's odd, I don't believe we update the background image at all
> frequently, interesting though.
>
> 	One amusing thing causing re-renders (and re-sorting the entire
> directory) is the geometry saving code, which happens at idle ( after a
> configure-request ) [ IMHO it should happen at window close only ].
> Saving the geometry fires a metadata changed signal that causes
> everything to re-render ;-)
>
> 	So, if you drag a nautilus window around (fullscreen) you can see it
> constantly re-rendering. If you switch virtual desktop, you can also see
> the performance impact, since it gets 2 configure requests - one moving
> the window off the screen, and one back on ...

Note that I think this has not always been like this; it *might* be some
change in the last two or three weeks.. *although* it might just have
been that I havent used transparent terminals much before in gnome2
since they used to crash like crazy..

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::