Re: 5 second timeout thing ...

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 00:20, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> Gnome-terminal monitors the background image for changes, and re-renders
> it for itself if it does change. This apparently causes the short
> pause/lockup if the wallpaper is updated.

	That's odd, I don't believe we update the background image at all
frequently, interesting though.

	One amusing thing causing re-renders (and re-sorting the entire
directory) is the geometry saving code, which happens at idle ( after a
configure-request ) [ IMHO it should happen at window close only ].
Saving the geometry fires a metadata changed signal that causes
everything to re-render ;-)

	So, if you drag a nautilus window around (fullscreen) you can see it
constantly re-rendering. If you switch virtual desktop, you can also see
the performance impact, since it gets 2 configure requests - one moving
the window off the screen, and one back on ...

	Regards,

		Michael.