Re: Add Network Neighborhood to Nautilus

David Moles wrote:

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 08:32, snickell stanford edu wrote:

I'm not sure of the implementation feasibility (do all interesting
protocols allow us to determine a unique identifier, say IP address, for
the machine sharing resources, so we don't get computers showing up
twice?), but I generally like the idea of making protocol less visible
here. You're right, the user wants to access a particular resource not
"use SMB" or "use AppleTalk". There might also be some interface
conflicts, e.g. in how the various services allow heirarchy and such,
but if the implementation was feasible and the interface conflicts could
be overcome this would be a pretty slick system.

What about the scenario of one machine having different shares
with different protocols? We might need an extra layer of abstraction
in that case (clicking on the machine gets you a virtual folder with
that machine's different shared resources), at least.

You really need another layer of api abstraction here, a 'resource discovery' subsystem. With plugins for each protocol, and a management function to aggregate and export all the info. However, because it'd cover things other than files (eg. printers), it should be outside of gnome-vfs.

Blue sky stuff, kind of related... it'd also be cool to be able to do stuff when certain resources become available. eg. Different default printer for your laptop at home and at work. Or, unison or something similar automatically firing up and backing up your documents directory on to the fileserver when you get to work.

Darryl Rees.