Re: Add Network Neighborhood to Nautilus

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 10:49, Bruce Robert Pocock wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 10:09, John Palmieri wrote:
> > Network would further be
> > seperated into NFS, Appletalk, SMB etc. which would automagicly bring us
> > to the correct browser.
>
> Ideally, these should all be handled together. Why should the user case
> what kind of browser backends are installed?

Ideally yes but for now there is no browsers that can handle multiple
protocols.  And what about ftp where the user can not browse for
servers?  I would still like a folder in the network folder that
contains all my FTP bookmarks and a link to a Wizard to set up new ones
(like the add printer icon in windoz).

You also bring up another interesting issue.  For now most of the talk
has been about file sharing protocols but any one computer, once they
were discovered, could export multiple protocols.  Another question
would be, "why do I care about protocols? I just want to know what
services are available and from where."  In this case a list of all
computers that export service I can use, be it file, print, fax, or
others, should be listed in a browser.  Clicking on them would report
the services available for that computer.  If I just wanted file servers
I would be able to filter for that.  This would be sort of like a
virtual LDAP server.  This is what I would like to see - the ability to
drop a GNOME desktop into a network and with zero configuration I can
see all services available to me.  Extream wishlist :-)

For now it is simple to add links to at least alert users that such
options do exist.

--
J5