Re: Underlines gone in single-click mode

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 16:05, Aschwin van der Woude wrote:

> > I think however this issue goes a little bit beyond only nautilus and is a
> > general gnome inconsistency. Maybe I'm getting a little off topic here, but
> > the behavior of click behavior really should be standardized by just choosing
> > one behavior and going with it. Currently on the panel single clicking a
> > launcher will launch it, while on the desktop in the default double click mode
> > you have to click it twice. I've talked with seth about this in the past and
> > he had expressed the opinion that either all controls (icons/toolbar buttons
> > etc) should require a double click or only a single click.
>
> I agree with this rethoric, and I am not also using single-click just to give it swing.
>
> But how am I supposed to select an item. When I delete a file I have so far just clicked to
> select it (double-click behaviour), and press 'del'.
> When I try this now it open the file/folder. The only I could figure out how to select it was
> by dragging a rubberband over the icon. Which makes sense for several icons, but not for just one.
>
> I also tried holding down the button some longer, but this doesn't have the desired effect.

Windows Explorer uses "hover select". IME, this works quite well.
Simply, an item is selected when the cursor hovers over it for some
fraction of a second. (Half? Quarter? I'm not sure.)

Of course, dragging a rubber band works as well.

I think Nautilus should adopt hover select for single-click mode.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden endoframe com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden jabber org>