Re: [Nautilus-list] List View Usability Suggestion

On Mon, 2001-10-08 at 02:57, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> It is a bonobo control.

Ah, ok, but is it already usuable from other programs? E.g. gnumeric, is
there some kind of "insert music object" that would render a m3u file?
Maybe I just didn't see it.

> I was thinking of it the other way around - a playlist would be
> treated as a sort of virtual directly.

Hmm, would it still be possible to do what I propose above, having (for
other, non filemanager-type programs) have plalist files being handled
by the component?

> > If nautilus would someday have the ability to embed more than one bonobo
> > control at a time directly in it's icon view, one could imagine to have
> > something like that: for all mp3/vorbis/etc files in a directory,
> > construct a "virtual" playlist file and use the "music control" to
> > render it while still showing all the other files that may be in the
> > directory as icons.
>
> I think that would be confusing. Switching views makes more sense to
> me.

It depends. I too see the danger of having a mixed up, confusing UI.
Maybe something else besides the icon view should be used for this.

I imagine a gtkhtml based view could be constructed from a directory,
where the files are organized into groups with relevant components
handling the collections. UI wise it would maybe look a bit like
evolutions mime mail view, but with components that handle collections
of file types instead of just a single file.

I know all this is by no means backed by any knowledge about the
difficulties of an implementation, it's just a users point of view...
:-)

	jtl