Re: [Muine] Muine Tango Icon

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 05:25:07PM +0100, Hylke Bons wrote:

> So, here it is: the Muine Tango icon thread.
> To answer one of your questions about how to bundle the icon:
> I'm on #tango IRC channel a lot, and I know that the goal of the Tango
> Project is to create a consistent DEFAULT icon theme and experience on
> OpenSource Software. Currently the artists are working on the baseset,
> and they think application icons should be bundled with the application,
> instead of an icon theme or in the baseset itself. That's the only way
> to get the Tango style guidelines as a default. There is an  application
> package yes, but it is unofficial and it's not in line with the goal of
> Tango.

ok, that makes sense.

> For the PNG or SVG part: for users who build from scratch I think it's
> handy do check if there is SVG support installed, if it isn't it will
> install the PNG icon. The major distro's support SVG in GNOME. I Don't
> know about KDE, I think I heard there should be another SVG package
> installed.

I'd love to see what autotools/packaging foo other applications shipping
tango icons are doing, or maybe see a patch that included this build
logic, to get a feel for the real issues.

> For the icon: I should make 22x22 and 16x16 bitmap versions too, they
> will be available later.

Excellent.

On a general note, I personally am for shipping a tango icon(s) in some
way or another. At the same time, I do really like the current bass clef
icon we have (as a former bass trombone player, that clef holds a
special place in my heart), and I'm sure folks not jumping on the tango
band wagon would like to continue to have the current icon around. As
such, I'd prefer to have a solution that included both icons, or let
them be configurable at configure time, or something else.

-pete

--
Peter Johanson
<latexer gentoo org>