[Muine] Muine Tango Icon

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 03:57:59PM +0100, Hylke Bons wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've made an icon for Muine using Tango style guidelines
> > (http://www.tango-project.org), you can use it if you want. You can
> find
> > the icon here:
> > http://hagen.let.rug.nl/s1547615/tango/muine.png (PNG)
> > and
> > here http://hagen.let.rug.nl/s1547615/tango/muine.svg (SVG)
> > Let me know if you like it. :)
>
> Sweet! Can you please send an email to the muine-list though with
this, so we can discuss more generally there?

> I'm also not sure what the current status is of the proper approach
for
> tango and application icons. There was talk of an upstream
> tango-application-icons or somesuch package with things like this. If
> that doesn't come through, I guess we could bundle ourselves, but that
> leads to questions about what to do about SVG vs. PNG, etc, etc, etc.
>
> Anyways, the muine-list is a better spot to discuss.
>
> Thanks for working on this!
>
> -pete

So, here it is: the Muine Tango icon thread.
To answer one of your questions about how to bundle the icon:
I'm on #tango IRC channel a lot, and I know that the goal of the Tango
Project is to create a consistent DEFAULT icon theme and experience on
OpenSource Software. Currently the artists are working on the baseset,
and they think application icons should be bundled with the application,
instead of an icon theme or in the baseset itself. That's the only way
to get the Tango style guidelines as a default. There is an  application
package yes, but it is unofficial and it's not in line with the goal of
Tango.

For the PNG or SVG part: for users who build from scratch I think it's
handy do check if there is SVG support installed, if it isn't it will
install the PNG icon. The major distro's support SVG in GNOME. I Don't
know about KDE, I think I heard there should be another SVG package
installed.

For the icon: I should make 22x22 and 16x16 bitmap versions too, they
will be available later.

Hylke Bons